Nurtured by Africa, Inspired by the World
Over the last 19 years, I have been privileged to tell stories across a variety of media to audiences in over 140 markets around the world.
From tracing how Artificial Intelligence can enhance diagnoses, to exploring the context behind the growth of the world's most successful money transfer project, to discovering how technology can create a more sustainable and open spaces for knowledge-- my work has complimented the growth of Fortune 500 companies, African tech unicorns and global non profits who are united by the the same goal: to use technology to enable critical access to services for everyone.
Where I've Worked
April 2019 - Present
HEAD OF PUBLIC POLICY
Leading a team of multifaceted experts to develop and implement a robust regulatory and public policy strategy to support Safaricom's business objectives. This entails deep analysis and real-time interpretation of the global policy environment to help inform day-to-day business decision-making; as well as maintaining critical relationships with policymakers, analyzing regional policy decisions and forming symbiotic partnerships to progress the growth of the telco sector in Kenya.
March 2018 - March 2019
VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS
As one of the world’s most popular and beloved websites, Wikipedia is in the process of enhancing access to free knowledge to a growing number of people across the world. My team was tasked with spearheading this effort by delivering a global communications strategy to meet that aspiration.
▪ My role included redefining Wikipedia's global communications strategy and involved identifying talent and refining team structures to meet its objective to communicate how the Foundation is working with communities to expand access to knowledge.
October 2014 - February 2018
HEAD OF CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS
Responsible for managing the external, internal and digital relations for the largest telecommunications platform in sub-Saharan Africa. My role included building and sustaining the company’s reputation and managing stakeholder relations with a focus on fine-tuning our purpose to use mobile technologies to transform lives.
▪ My team was responsible for driving corporate strategy and message development, pitching to media and formulating announcement strategies. In Nov 2015, a story that I pitched on the Future of Money (M-PESA) aired on CBS 60 Minutes and was later shortlisted for that year’s Emmy Awards.
July 2011 - September 2014
EXTERNAL RELATIONS SPECIALIST
GROWTH MARKETS UNIT, IBM CORPORATION
As a part of a global team based in Nairobi, I managed media, analyst and influencer relations across the 150 countries that make up the GMU; focusing primarily on IBM’s $6 billion Research division, its Corporate Social Responsibility program, hardware division and it’s Geo Expansion initiative.
▪ In June 2013, I led the development of a GMU-wide Digital Academy that
educated over 150 communications specialists on how to manage and leverage social media in the new media landscape. This initiative was awarded the 2014 PR Week Global Award for Change Management.
Where I've Worked
September 2006 - July 2011
SENIOR BUSINESS REPORTER
NATION MEDIA GROUP
As a specialist technology reporter for Business Daily, I provided content for the daily newspaper and also launched a weekly pullout entitled Digital Business. In my last nine months at Business Daily, I also provided editorial guidance as a senior editor for the main run of the paper, editing the opinion pages.
▪ In September 2009, I was selected as part of a pioneer team to explore business media convergence opportunities across the TV, internet and print media platforms within Nation Media Group and manage a transition to digital media.
June 2005 - September 2006
OGILVY PUBLIC RELATIONS
At this position I worked as part of a team to create innovative communication
solutions, implement forward-thinking public relations strategy and coordinate
▪ The role entailed daily account maintenance and strategic planning for clients such as the pioneer internet companies UUNET and Africa Online, as well as well-known Kenyan brewer East Africa Breweries as well as Coca Cola and GlaxoSmithkline, where I managed public relations for both pharmaceutical and consumer brands.
January 2001 - June 2005
JOURNALISM AND COMMUNICATIONS
I spent the early part of my career building experience in story-telling for various business technology publications, as well as international titles. I also started to explore the world of communications, working with brand like the computer manufacturers Gateway and Toshiba. In between, I started a magazine business and also worked as a freelancer for several publications.
What I’ve Learned
Graduated May 2017
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS - AMHERST
B.A. DIGITAL JOURNALISM
The course included: Journalism and Law, Social Media Strategy, Public
Relations, Newsrooms Reporting and Sustainability.
1997 - 1999
FORDHAM UNIVERSITY (NEW YORK)
B.A. MEDIA STUDIES
The course included: Media Theory, Writing for Newspapers and Magazines,
Public Relations, Economics and Computer Science.
THE MADEIRA SCHOOL (VIRGINIA)
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
Continuing high school education after graduating from Peponi Secondary School in Kenya where I completed the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) in 1995.
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer... you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”